Disphorie de genre, disphorie de sexe

Garçon, fille, un peu des deux ou encore ailleurs, ici on discute identité de genre.
Mashiro

Disphorie de genre, disphorie de sexe

Message par Mashiro »

Je suis tombée sur ce texte qui m'a parlé, il me semble important de ne pas le garder pour moi, peut-être parlera-t-il à d'autres.

C'est en anglais, désolée, mais plutôt facile à lire (même si certaines phrases sont encore obscures pour moi après plusieurs lectures). Je fais un résumé rapide, mais si ça peut vous parler, je vous conseille grandement de lire l'original.

L'auteur (que je ne connais pas, je suis tombée sur le texte par un reblog sur Tumblr) présente la différence entre disphorie de genre et disphorie de sexe.
Avec les mots de Wikipédia, la disphorie c'est une "perturbation de l'humeur caractérisée par un sentiment déplaisant et dérangeant". J'en parlerai sûrement moins bien que d'autres, mais ce que j'ai cru comprendre c'est qu'une personne dont le genre ou le sexe (et c'est là la distinction faite par le texte) n'est pas en accord avec ce qu'il est peut passer par des moments du style "bad trip" dus à ce "sentiment dérangeant" de non-accord.
Et donc l'auteur fait la distinction entre disphorie de genre et la disphorie de sexe. La disphorie de genre serait plus "je n'ai pas de souci avec le fait d'avoir des seins, mais j'ai un souci avec le fait qu'en avoir me fait être vu et traité comme une fille", et la disphorie de sexe serait plutôt "ces seins, ce n'est pas moi, ce n'est pas normal". Un disphorique de genre ressentirait le malaise essentiellement en société, mais ce malaise peut se transformer en haine de son corps si celui-ci est vu comme la cause du problème social. Un disphorique de sexe, quant à lui, ressentirait le malaise en premier lieu vis à vis de son corps (même tout seul dans sa salle de bain), le malaise en société est une conséquence, mais pas la cause.
Gender dysphoria vs Sex dysphoria

For simplicity sake the definition of gender I’m going to be using here is the one most commonly used in social science:

The socially constructed roles, behaviours, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for men and women.

But because I know that is not at all the universal definition, or one all people use, so I will specify “gender roles".

The definition of sex I’m going o be using here is:

The biological and physiological characteristics that define men and women.

There are two groups of people.

1. There are people who are uncomfortable with the “gender role" they were assigned with at birth with.

This discomfort stems from feeling they do not fit in with members of their gender/sex due to the way they behave, their interests, just how they are as people. This could extend to discomfort in how they are perceived. As men or as women. Some gender (role) dysphorics don’t want to be treated as either (non binary).

Commonly gender dysphorics have no real problem with their physical bodies). Most don’t feel “trapped" in them nor do they experience what is called a “typical trans narrative", most do not have any kind of problem with their bodies, the discomfort with their bodies with most gender (role) dysphorics may lie in perception.

E.g. A female person may like her breasts/not mind them as a physical part of her body but dislikes how her breasts make her be seen as a girl. Her problem is not with the sex of her body itself but her discomfort lays in how it makes other people view her. The dislike with how she is viewed or “seen as a girl" or “treated like a girl" may get so bad that she could eventually end up disliking her breasts.

(This is where we enter a grey area, someone’s whose issue is misogyny or sexism or perception or discomfort with societal roles may end disliking their body as a cause of this)

Now for this person, instead of questioning or looking into the reason why she’s uncomfortable to be SEEN as a female, instead of seeing it as a deeper societal issue that must be fixed, she may instead not look that deep into why ‘being a woman’ seems like a bad thing to her and may just instead adopt a different identity as a coping mechanism.

2. And then there are people who are uncomfortable with the physical anatomy of their sexed bodies.

Sex dysphoria is the feeling of discomfort and or disconnect with the natal sex characteristics of their bodies. Which suffers have described as a feeling of nausea, a difficult to bear state of feeling unwell or unhappy; a feeling of emotional and mental discomfort as a symptom of discontentment, restlessness, dissatisfaction, malaise, depression and anxiety over their sexed bodies.

The difference with the sex dysphoric and the gender dysphoric is with the gender role dysphoric the problem they most commonly talk about is being society.

The gender role dysphoric will talk about wanting to wear so and so clothes, wanting to play with so and so toys. Wanting to be ‘treated’ like him or her. Hating being treated like a ‘him’ or a ‘her’. It’s all about perception that may then evolve into disliking their physical because of how it affects their perception.

While for the sex dysphoric, the issue begins with the body itself and perception comes secondary. Most common ways to tell the difference is the gender dysphoric person will talk about how they always played with this boy toy or wanted to wear boy clothes. Or was jealous of how so and so was treated compared to them and they wanted that. They may talk about how they “want" to be male because they won’t have to wear make up, or they’re behavior or masculinity will not be questioned but rather “normal".

The gender role dysphoric may not even claim to be dysphoric until they learn about the word “dysphoria". (I’ve seen people say:

“I’ve identified as trans* for four months and this is the first time I experienced dysphoria it’s horrible, I was misgendered :("

The sex dysphoric on the other hand, will most likely talk about their relationship with their bodies first and foremost. The issue will be their body first and foremost. The sex dysphoric may experience societal discomfort but the discomfort with the body would be the cause of the social (not the other way around).

The individual who experiences sex dysphoria most commonly talks about the relationship or disconnect with their bodies in a way that doesn’t include other people or society in genera (outside of safety concerns). (While a gender role dysphoric may only be uncomfortable with their body when they leave their home) with the sex dysphoric it is ever lasting when they are by themselves or isolated from other people.

The gender role dysphorics will most commonly talks about their gender purely as identity and speak about how any mentioning of physical sex is bigoted or “cissexist". Usage of proudly proclaiming “Boy with boobs and vagina", I’m a boy even though I love my breasts and vagina" “some boys have vaginas be InCluSive!" May be common among them.

While on the other hand the sex dysphoric persons problem is their sex so they most commonly talk about it as a physical reality and will make no claims that sex is socially constructed. Being that the sex of their body is their problem, the cause of their discomfort. Their discomfort not being that society is not accepting them as a boy with non boy parts.

The sex dysphoric will most commonly find being called “a boy with a vagina" uncomfortable because the issue is not peoples perceptions of them or an issue on what they are being called or want to be called. It is the fact that they have that body part to begin with. “Boy" and “girl" are not abstract concepts to them but ones that relate to physical body.

Commonly the gender roles dysphorics main issue is being ‘accepted as a boy’.

While the sex dysphorics main issue is being comfortable in their body.

Both are problems, both problems are real to the person experiencing them, both might overlap each other at times depending on the individual but both are separate problems and should be treated differently, talked about differently and solved differently.

Source : http://toplioncub.tumblr.com/
Je ne sais pas si cette distinction est quelque chose de répandu dans les discours trans*, mais c'est quelque chose de nouveau pour moi et qui clairement fait résonner quelque chose en ce qui me concerne.
Notamment le "The gender role dysphoric may not even claim to be dysphoric until they learn about the word “dysphoria". :mrgreen:
Je traine en ce moment pas mal du côté des blogs FtM, mais sans pour autant m'y reconnaitre, et je pense en fait que c'est parce que ce que je recherche ce sont des témoignages de disphorie de genre, alors que la plupart des témoignages que j'ai lu parlent de disphorie de sexe.

Après, ce texte me fait me poser des questions sur les conséquences d'un "diagnostic" de disphorie de genre :
- du coup, est-on trans* ? (même si la réponse ne comporte qu'un intérêt limité)
- que faire pour éviter le "malaise" ?
Je ne comprends notamment pas bien ce que sous-entend l'auteur dans le paragraphe suivant (parlant d'un disphorique de genre)
Now for this person, instead of questioning or looking into the reason why she’s uncomfortable to be SEEN as a female, instead of seeing it as a deeper societal issue that must be fixed, she may instead not look that deep into why ‘being a woman’ seems like a bad thing to her and may just instead adopt a different identity as a coping mechanism.
Ca veut dire que si quelqu'un ne supporte pas d'être vu comme homme/femme, la seule "vraie" solution est de considérer que c'est un problème de société ? La seule solution pour soigner un malaise "j'aime pas être vu comme une fille" serait de devenir féministe pour changer l'image de la femme ? Ou une psychanalyse sur le "pourquoi ça me semble mal d'être considéré comme une femme" ? C'est un peu long terme, comme solutions...

Est-ce que c'est une distinction qui vous semble évidente ?
Est-ce la distinction même qu'on fait entre transgenre et transsexuel ?
Est-ce que, comme le dit l'auteur, c'est deux problèmes différents à traiter de manière différente ?
Est-ce qu'il y a des mots clés pour la disphorie de genre ? mtf/ftm me semblent plus regrouper des problèmes de disphorie de sexe...
Est-ce que ça vous parle ? Ou vous situerez-vous ? (rah, toujours de cases... :huhu: )
popy

Re: Disphorie de genre, disphorie de sexe

Message par popy »

Ca sonne un peu comme pour la chirurgie esthétique.

Si on te fais pas savoir que t'as un gros pif difforme et les oreilles super décollées, tu vivrais avec très bien.
Sinon, bah, t'est catalogué : moche et exclu.

Ça me parle un peu comme ça.
Et Jsuis daccord pour dire que cest un pb de societé où tout se joue en général sur l'apparence et les attributs.
Norma

Message par Norma »

C'est comme ça que tu nommes ton genre ?
J'espère que tu ne souhaites pas l'ajouter au sigle "LGBTI++", ça risque de devenir un petit peu long ...
Eliona

Message par Eliona »

Oh, et bien, merci beaucoup pour cette remontée !
Et merci beaucoup pour cet article.

C'est aussi comme un problème de société que je comprends l'article concernant la dysphorie de genre, même si je ne suis pas forcément d'accord, puisqu'on peut très bien se sentir bien dans la binarité actuelle avec toutes les attentes suite à notre genre, mais juste... Ne pas être du bon coté d'un point de vue genre...(Le problème, selon moi, serait donc que sexe et genre sont liés) Après, cela dépend des personnes, et certaines (de nombreuses en fait), préféreraient que le genre n'implique rien.

Sinon, ça me montre aussi à quel point je suis chiante, puisque même comme cela, je ne sais pas où je me mettrais, même si cela me parle bien, mais par période et en fonction des situations (ce qui me laisserait penser à une dysphorie de genre qui ne se montrerait que dans certaines situations... D'un autre coté, parfois, j'en ai carrément marre de mon corps et sens bien que ce n'est pas le bon... Mais c'est loin d'être systématique aussi...

Après, la distinction me semble tout de même assez évidente, puisqu'il y a beaucoup de trans qui n'ont pas de problème avec leur sexe.
anonyme P

Message par anonyme P »

Donc tout le monde parle anglais sur ce forum sauf moi... O_O O_O O_O
Répondre